Monday 16 December 2013

Molding Music


Brielle



BOOM. BOOM. BOOM. Like a drum. Like a metronome. Like my heart. The adrenaline warms my blood. Less than boiling but more than luke warm, comforting. The chatter halts. Down the hall lays the stage waiting for us. It’s time. Everyone takes their seats, but me. I stand, up front looking at silhouettes created by the white lights.

BOOM. BOOM. BOOM. Gently the flowing of warmth rushes in. I rest. Ding. Ding. Ding. The notes ready at my fingertips waiting to be played. It’s time. Trills dance above the warmth, skimming the surface of it. To my left i hear the fullness of sound, skimming the bottom of it. I'm ready. Flying over the mass of the sound, is me. All eyes, on me. The warmth, behind me. The sound is us.

BOOM. BOOM. BOOM. I take my seat and the speed kicks in. The band, we are one now. drums march in solitary taking on the form of an African tribe. 1,2,3 and 4 and, counting each rest waiting with eager fingers to play again. It’s time. We come in with bullets of sound, triumphant and prideful. Each note builds the character of us and those watching. The boy who you could tell did not want to be there, is intrigued by the magnificent sounds of the bottom of the band. His eyes are glued to the stage with excitement. We went faster; his eyes got more locked in. With a bang and sitting at the edge of his seat, the boy almost slipped of in wonder. The bells dance while warmth sat under them. His eyes filled with a sudden contentment; his lips could not contain curving up. I stand up.

Once again I am above everything. Smoothing over all the hearts in the room as well as the sounds that were now behind us. I could almost see the tears in the eyes of the adjudicator. The last note of warmth spills over the stage into the room and the applause is a note of warmth to me. In unison we stand and bow with thanks and smiles and take our seats again. In the chaos of the aftermath i take a moment to think. Music makes us, molds us, and comforts us and we don't even know it. Right then and there music changed me, and that boy, he was changed aw well. I am sure of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment